Varicose veins are one of the most common pathologies of the human vascular system. The most popular place for varicose veins is the lower limbs. Many modern treatment methods aim to combat varicose veins. Regular medical clinics offer a variety of injection, laser and surgical procedures. And how to treat varicose veins on the legs at home?
What are varicose veins?
With varicose veins, the venous wall loses its elasticity, the ability to shrink and stretch. The second cause of this disease is a violation of the integrity of the venous valve, which is caused by increased pressure in the leg canal, blood stagnation occurs.
The disease can strike not only the legs, but also other parts of the body. If varicose veins on the legs, in various areas of the skin of the lower legs, first of all, on the muscles of the lower legs, one can see the wide and winding surface blood vessels. But not only the external part of the disease is important, because the most dangerous phenomenon is a violation of venous blood flow.
Characteristics of varicose veins in women and men
It is believed that women are more susceptible to the disease, as they often wear tight shoes with high heels and have physiological tendencies.In fact, the percentage of patients is almost the same for both sexes, the difference in asking for help - women recognize the symptoms in advance and sound the alarm, while men delay it for a long time or do not care about the disease at all.
Another reason ispregnancy.With weight gain, the load on the legs also increases, which is fraught with varicose veins.
The symptoms of varicose veins in men and women are similar, but the disease has its own characteristics.
The danger for men is thatis at high risk of spreading the disease to the hands and groin (varicocele).
The main difference is that, because of their lifestyle, men have a set of factors thatsignificantly accelerate the progression of the disease:
- intense physical activity;
- bad habits - smoking, alcohol;
- lifting weights;
- large weight, and, thus, load on the legs;
- carelessness - men are less picky about external skin changes, so they may not be aware of node tightening.
There is no difference between how to treat varicose veins in the legs in women and men, the main thing is to pay attention to the symptoms in time and see a doctor. In men, usually, there are more advanced cases, as they treat varicose veins when they have reached the second stage, or even the third stage.
Important: The level of danger for men is similar to heart disease.
How to treat varicose veins in women?
Women's legs are in a special risk group. According to statistics, in more than 70% of all cases of the disease, varicose veins affect women. Varicose veins not only have a negative impact on health. This significantly spoils the look, making fair sex feel uncomfortable.
At the first sign of varicose veins in the legs(swelling, heaviness in the legs, the appearance of swollen veins and spider veins), you should immediately begin treatment. How to treat varicose veins in women?There are several ways:
- use venotonic ointments and gels;
- take pills to tighten the veins;
- use traditional medical advice;
- to correct varicose veins using medical procedures (sclerotherapy, laser coagulation);
- to radically solve a problem with surgery (phlebectomy).
Ointments, gels and tablets are quite effective in the early stages of varicose veins. Traditional medicine can accompany a woman throughout the treatment period, supporting the body, regardless of the basic method of therapy. Conservative, minimally invasive treatment methods (sclerotherapy, laser exposure) are used if varicose veins become active. Surgical intervention is an extreme measure when a woman’s health and life are at risk due to serious vein pathology.
How to treat varicose veins in the legs in men?
Men tend to experience varicose veins in the legs. Even so, the strong half of humanity should also address the need to treat varicose veins. How to treat varicose veins on the legs in men? In general, treatment methods for men and women are no different. The main difference is the cause of the appearance of varicose veins. In women, the main causes of the appearance of varicose veins are pregnancy, childbirth, hormonal disorders. In men, pathology occurs for the following reasons:
- bad habits (men more often than women have a tendency to drink alcohol and smoke);
- weight lifting systematically;
- active load on the legs;
- playing sports, strength physical training;
- lack of attention to their health, poor nutrition (women are more concerned with healthy lifestyle and proper nutrition).
When doing therapeutic therapy, the factors that cause the appearance of varicose veins should be taken into account. For example, treatment should be accompanied by eating special foods and rejection of bad habits.
How to treat varicose veins quickly at home?
How to treat varicose veins so quickly that the disease does not have time to turn into a worse form? Tablets, ointments and gels are the most popular methods of treating varicose veins on the feet at home. Doctors state that pharmaceutical preparations perform their job well in the early stages of varicose vein manifestations.
How to treat varicose veins with folk remedies?
You can treat varicose veins with traditional medicine:
- Tomato. Cut the tomatoes into slices, place on your feet in the troubled area. Wrap with cling film, wrap with a warm scarf on it. Make such a compress at night.
- Chestnut. Spread the black bread with the butter, crush the chopped dried chestnuts on top of the butter. Apply on the feet at the site of manifestations of varicose veins, fix, leave to compress overnight.
- Milk and ferns. Put the fern ingredient into the milk until you get a medium density mixture. Fold the gauze in several layers, moistening thoroughly in the milk mixture. Wrap your feet in problem areas, fix with adhesive film.
Apple cider vinegar: how is it used for varicose veins?
Apple cider vinegar contains large amounts of vitamins, macro and micro elements, minerals. They have a beneficial effect on the body, helping to overcome varicose veins effectively. Apple cider vinegar should not harm a person, and with regular use, a positive effect will be seen in a month.
Some simple tipshow to treat varicose veins on the legs at home with vinegar:
- Soak a cotton liner in vinegar, wipe your feet in the problem area. Repeat the procedure as often as possible, 5-7 times a day.
- Pour warm water into the bathtub, pour a liter of vinegar into it. Immerse your feet in water, complete the water procedure in half an hour. Doctors do not recommend drying your feet with a towel. It is better to lie on the bed, lift your legs above your head (for example, lean against the wall) and let them dry naturally.
- Fold the gauze in several layers, moisten with plenty of vinegar. Apply on feet on problem areas, wrap with adhesive (or plastic bag), wrap with a warm scarfRemove the compress after an hour.
- You can also take apple cider vinegar internally. Put a teaspoon of vinegar in a glass of warm water, drink on an empty stomach half an hour before breakfast.It is important to remember that this recipe should not be used in medical therapy if you have problems with the gastrointestinal tract.
How varicose veins in the legs are treated
Varicose veins in the legs are a chronic disease characterized by dilation of the venous tract and disruption of blood flow in the lower leg.
This disease occurs in both men and women. The danger is that it is quite difficult to detect it at an early stage, and subsequent treatment is fraught with complications.
Varicose veins in the legs: treatment at different stages of the disease
How varicose veins in the legs are treated depends on the patient's condition and the degree to which he or she sees a doctor.There are four stages to this disease.Below we will analyze each in detail.
To treat varicose veins in the legs at an early stage (as in the photo) is the right decision. The main thing is to diagnose the disease in a timely manner. In the early stages, patients experience swelling of the legs, pain and heaviness in the lower legs (especially after a long walk).
Therapy should include regular special exercises, massage courses, as well as the use of creams that relieve fatigue and swelling.
To strengthen the walls and increase blood flow, your doctor may prescribe a tonic.
Important: Sequence is shown only at an early stage. If there is a wound, it will cause injury and will put extra pressure on the vessel.
The following is added to the symptoms in the first stage:
- star formation and nodules on the legs;
- frequent cramps at night;
- feeling hot below the knee.
At this stage it is recommended to perform medical procedures:
- sclerotherapy(injection with a needle of material that strengthens the duct from the inside and restores the damaged area);
- ozone therapy(the agent is introduced into the lumen of the vessel, attaching to its wall).
To combine the effects obtained, patients wear special compression stockings for several months after the procedure, which puts pressure on the vessel wall.
Spider nodes and veins acquire a stronger shade, itching and burning are felt in the affected area, pigmentation and numbness of the skin often appears.
Treatment is done in one of two ways:
- Traditional- a combination of medication and compression therapy.
- Operational- provides surgical intervention and such operations:
- if the patient does not have valve dysfunction, he or she is given sclerotherapy (administration of ferric chloride);
- Laser action aims to process with a warm laser flow, which leads to the "sealing" of the vein.
Important: At this stage, you should immediately seek the advice of a phlebologist.
This is the most severe form of the disease, characterized by prominent defective nodes that can rupture when pressed vigorously.
Occasionally, open wounds may appear at the site of spider nodules and veins, which enlarge and do not heal for several weeks (trophic ulcers).
At this stage,is the only tissue removal affected by effective phlebectomy. After discharge, the patient must wear compression underwear for long periods of time and take medications that strengthen the walls of blood vessels.
If the disease has progressed to a final stage, then do not despair - there are modern methods to get rid of varicose veins - an example of such surgery is laser removal.
If the disease has entered the third stage, then the disease can be completely curedonly with operating methods.Many people worry about whether it is possible to cure severe varicose veins on the legs without surgery? This is only possible if the treatment is complex with traditional methods exclusively at an early stage:
- Clothes and compression bandagesput pressure on the walls of blood vessels, which contributes to the redistribution of blood flow.
- Using external agents- ointments and gels help relieve swelling, relieve pain and nourish the skin. After prolonged use, trophic ulcers heal, venous network and venous valves are strengthened. The basis of external products are fats and oils, and organic compounds and plant extracts are used as active ingredients:
- Drugs- drugs used to promote blood flow: phlebotonics, antiplatelet agents, anticoagulants and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Therapeutic exercise- moderate physical activity increases the elasticity and strength of blood vessels.
- Hirudotherapy- medical leech releases hirudin, which prevents blood clotting. Hirudotherapy is effective if there is a blood clot.
ImportantMedication should be taken under the supervision of a doctor who prescribes the dose and duration of treatment.
Phlebologists in the treatment of varicose veins strive to perform without unnecessary traumatic surgery in the early stages of the disease. For example, this is typical for reticular varicose veins, a manifestation of which is limited to the network of blue veins. The drug helps to improve the condition of the valves and walls of the vessel. Men, like women, should wear compression socks. Pathology cannot be completely cured. However, conservative methods stop the development of varicose veins and protect against complications.
Exercise therapists know how to get rid of leg veins by doing physiotherapy exercises. This is possible provided that the exercise, which increases blood flow in the legs, is done systematically. For example:
- In a standing position, the heel of the foot is raised alternately.
- In the same standing position, they slowly go up on their toes and just as they slowly go down.
- Sit on a chair, roll a small ball on the floor with your feet back and forth.
For more effective treatment of leg varicose veins, it is important to properly regulate nutrition. Berries, apples, citrus fruits, which contain flavonoids, antioxidants, rutin, help improve the condition of blood vessels. Thinning the blood provides daily intake of sufficient amounts of fluid (1. 5-2 liters). Diet with varicose veins on the legs is not suitable for fatty foods, fried, hot spices, alcohol.
Removal of damaged veins in the lower part of the foot or parts of it is done by incision or puncture. Removal of diseased vessels in the clinic is necessary if:
- the veins in the legs grow pathologically;
- affected skin;
- trophic ulcers appear;
- thromboflebitis is getting worse.
Surgical treatment of varicose veins on the legs is contraindicated:
- for severe hypertension, coronary artery disease, infectious diseases, eczema;
- if the patient is old;
- during pregnancy (more than 5 months).
7 ways to treat varicose veins at home
Varicose veins are a disease characterized by the occurrence ofvaricose veins.
A vein is a blood vessel that carries blood to the heart. There are valves in the veins that block blood flow. When this valve fails, some of the blood remains in the leg, causingextra pressure on the vessel. Thus, the characteristics of the varicose veins appear.
Oftenwomensuffer from varicose veins in the legs (2 times more often). Pregnant women are very prone to varicose veins.
The risk of developing varicose veins increases in people who workmany standing.
Inflamed blue veins with knots can make your feet look aesthetically uncomfortable, apart from symptoms such as itching and pain. Nowadays, surgical methods to treat varicose veins have grown rapidly and become very reliable and effective.
However, some methods are easy to obtainreduces the size of varicose veinsand can even stop the evolution of the disease.
First, it is recommended to take more fiber and do special exercises for the legs as often as possible.
When should I see a doctor for varicose veins?
Varicose veins on the legs are mainly a cosmetic problem.
- Seek medical help ifpainand / orpeeling of the skin on the feetis observed at the foot level.
- It is also recommended to see a doctor immediatelyif the veins are tornor if the pain is running. These signs may indicate a blood clot. As a rule, the presence of blood clots is also accompanied by swelling and redness of one limb.
Treatment of varicose veins
Method 1. Keep your feet as high as possible while resting
When resting, try to keep your feet as high as possibleagainst your heart.
The cause of varicose veins is the tendency of blood to accumulate at the level of the feet. During their rise, the blood returns to the heart more easily and reduces the load on the venous tract.
It is ideal to do this during breaks at work or at home in between.
Method 2. Yoga
For a more meaningful effect, try a simple yoga exercise.
To do this, sit on your back near the wall, lift your legs upat an angle of 45 ° to the walland hold this way for 3 minutes.
Method 3. Horse chestnut
Horse chestnut is considered one of the most well-known folk remedies for varicose veins. It increases the elasticity of the veins and strengthens its valves.
Take 250 mg Horse Chestnut 2 times a day for 3 months. After this period, reduce the dose to once a day.
Method 4. Centella asiatic
Centella asiatica has a significant strengthening effect on the blood vessels and connective tissue that surrounds it.
Italian scientists have noticed that patients taking medications based on Asiatic Centella show significant improvements in venous function.
Attention!It is strictly forbidden for pregnant women to take medication based on Centella asiatica.
Method 5. Lemon peel
While eating citrus juice or tea, add well-washed lemon peel. The fact is that lemon peel contains a very important flavonoid -rutin, which prevents bleeding from capillary blood vessels.
Attention!Before eating store-bought lemons, rinse thoroughly to remove any layer of protective chemicals.
Method 6. Vitamin C and flavonoids
Of course, the role of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in the body cannot be moderately evaluated. According to many experts, this vitamin is important for our health!
It turns out that it plays a role in strengthening the connective tissue around the veins in the legs. It makes the veins stronger, more elastic and stronger.
Flavonoids help the bodyuse vitamin C better.
Take 500 mg of ascorbic acid and 250 mg of flavonoids daily.
Attention!If diarrhea (diarrhea) occurs, it is recommended to reduce the dose.
Method 7. Proanthocyanidins
Flavonoid proanthocyanidins are considered an important traditional medicine for varicose veins. They are characterized by a strengthening effect on blood vessels, reducing the likelihood of bleeding.
The main sources of this material are:
- grape seed extract;
- pine bark;
- green tea.
You can also getsupplementswith proanthocyanidins at your pharmacy. Take this supplement 150-300 mg daily by considering proanthocyanidins.
There are studies that found that in patients with varicose veins, the intake of proanthocyanidins causes an increase in the condition of varicose veins by 75% compared to 41% in those who do not take this substance.
Due to varicose leg disease
Are varicose veins in the legs really as dangerous as they say?
The worst consequences of pathological varicose veins are bleeding ulcers, thrombosis and venous thrombosis.
This disease causes an increase in the load on the heart muscle, which in turn may have a certain value in the development of cardiovascular pathology.
The most common consequence of this disease is swelling of the ankle, which is fraught with constant pain in the upper part of the foot. Lack of treatment leads to increased muscle cramps, constant leg fatigue, and a feeling of heaviness.
All the symptoms of this disease are intensified at times when a person is doing physical exercise. But the change from active work to inactive work does not save the situation. Varicose veins always cause discomfort.
Dermatitis is the result of relatively severe varicose veins in men. In the area of the vein pain, a rash appears that you want to comb. This is not possible, as over time, bleeding ulcers will replace the rash.
The development of thrombophlebitis is the result of the most serious illness. The appearance of blood clots is complete with death due to their separation and entering the blood vessels of the heart or lungs. Therefore, if there are any slight signs that indicate the development of the disease, you should see a doctor immediately.
Various methods are used for diagnosis, but the most accurate of these is dopplerographic examination of blood vessels (venous ultrasound). This allows you to assess the extent of their defeat.
Although you have a predisposition to varicose veins, attention should be paid to prevention. Alternatively, you can massage your own feet (prohibited if the disease has already developed). Wearing special compression underwear will not be superfluous.
People who lead an inactive lifestyle are advised to change their body posture more often and do short exercises on the spot. You can just walk around the table or on the spot, doing some spin exercises. If you have an inactive job, then every hour you need to rest for 5-10 minutes, get up from the table and rest your feet.
After bathing or showering, you can rinse your feet with cold water. As a precautionary measure, doctors also recommend drinking at least two liters of water.
All men (and especially women) should stop smoking and drinking excessively. It is better to give priority to sports, more often outdoors, walking in parks and forests. And then, you have to try not to worry and not worry. Stress is one of the factors that tends to varicose veins. Harmless varicose veins do not differentiate between people according to gender and nationality.
In conclusion, we can say that with the right treatment approach and timely access to a specialist, you can not only prevent the manifestation of complications, but also completely stop the progression of the disease.
The main thing is to approach the therapy comprehensively and follow the doctor's instructions systematically, because, unfortunately it is impossible to heal the veins in the legs without surgery at the last stage.